Review: Assassin by Shaun Hutson (4/5)

Friday 13 June 2014
This is the book that introduced me to Caffeine Nights publishers and I am so thankful. I have discovered a fantastic publishing house with a brilliant back catalogue, a unique and determined vision and a fantastic ethos. I'm saddened to have reached the end of my very first publisher week but happy to share with you my review for this book. I hope you've enjoyed the reviews you have read and will perhaps consider picking one or two of the books up.


 About The Book:

Into the middle of gang warfare comes a force more powerful than vengeance, more lethal than high velocity weapons, and more terrifying than any nightmare

London is gripped by the bloodiest outbreak of gang warfare ever seen. Shootings in the street, kidnappings, bombs, and car chases have become commonplace. The gutters are running red with blood and the police are powerless to stop it. Frank Harrison has ruled gangland unopposed for more than two years, and now someone is out to wipe him and his men from the face of the earth. Who and why? The answer, when it comes, will test not just Harrison's courage but his sanity too. For him, there is only one way to fight back against an enemy he can barely believe he faces. 

So, into this world of violence, corruption, madness, and death comes the Assassin...

Review:

I was in a bookshop one day when this book caught my eye from the other side of the room. The cover is certainly eye catching and stands out on the shelf. I didn't even know what it was about but thought: 'I must read that book'. Well read it I did and I loved it. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of Shaun Hutson before and even more shocked to find out that this book was written before I was even born. Usually I'm quite hesitant to read books from so many years ago, unless it's a classic I fear they may feel dated or boring compared to today's books. Happy to say no such worries with this book. In a word it was brilliant.

I can't think of a book I have read as gruesome as this one, but researching Hutson it appears that that is what he does best. For me though it was fantastic and I couldn't get enough. One thing I read a lot of is crime fiction or books about London gangsters. What I haven't read about alongside those two things are zombies. So throw them into the story and what do you get? An absolutely relentless and very descriptive stormer of a read that takes you into its grasp, eats you up and then spits you out right at the very end feeling disoriented, probably nauseous and like you want to throw up but ready to do it all over again. I'm already seeking out my next Hutson read.

I honestly can't even attempt to describe what happens without ruining it for the reader. Safe to say unless you have a really strong stomach (or at least an empty one) do not pick up this book. As if the cover isn't warning enough... I am extremely eager to get my hands on the paperbacks, they are some of the best covers I've seen and I want them on my shelf. I wasn't sure I could fit this book into my review schedule but picked it up a few nights ago and was still reading as the sun started to come up! Gripping. Overall this book is very, very brutal, seriously disturbing and extremely graphic and I absolutely loved every single page of it.

Buy from Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Copyright © 2014 Book Addict Shaun
Template by These Paper Hearts